Thisio 1900; A logistics center

Athens was and remained for long time an industrious city of predominately small shops producing a wide range of consumer goods (from necessities to luxuries). In the early 1900s when the streets Ermou, Aiolou, and Athinas were opened, the industrial zone was reconstituted upon these new axes. Shops and workshops developed mainly from east to west, with Ermou street as the central axis, eventually occupying the entire area between Monastiraki and the western edge of Adrianou street, the neighbourhood of Psyrri and the triangle bounded by Ermou – Athinas – Evripidou streets (today’s shopping centre).

The industrial zone northwards and eastwards was constrained by the "upscale" areas of Omonoia and Syntagma respectively. Consequently, the west side of the city was the only possible outlet for the industrial zone with the Aghion Asomaton square serving as the terminus for carriages and all kinds of land transport arriving with ever increasing frequency from Piraeus; the installation of the railway station here in 1869 further burdened the node with the activities of loading and unloading thus the Thisio are becoming the 1900 Athens' logistics hub.

The entire area was filled with facilities serving transport needs: the older pack-saddle-makers, fodder-chandlers etc. and the newer carriage-makers’, carpenters’ and metal workshops. It was these carriage-makers’ workshops that pioneered the expansion of the industrial zone to the west.

Read more about OUR SOUL at the “100+ years old horse carriage wheels repair shop
 1
 2
 3
 4
 5
 6
 7
 8
 9
 10